i. Verses about the Law
Jesus is clear on the law. All of it stands for all time.
“Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.
Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach [them], the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.
For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed [the righteousness] of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven”. – Jesus
Exodus 15:26 KJV – And said, If thou wilt diligently hearken to the voice of the LORD thy God, and wilt do that which is right in his sight, and wilt give ear to his commandments, and keep all his statutes, I will put none of these diseases upon thee, which I have brought upon the Egyptians: for I am the LORD that healeth thee.
Leviticus 26:14-15 KJV – But if ye will not hearken unto me, and will not do all these commandments; And if ye shall despise my statutes, or if your soul abhor my judgments, so that ye will not do all my commandments, but that ye break my covenant:
Numbers 15:22, 39-40 KJV – 22 And if ye have erred, and not observed all these commandments, which the LORD hath spoken unto Moses, … 39 And it shall be unto you for a fringe, that ye may look upon it, and remember all the commandments of the LORD, and do them; and that ye seek not after your own heart and your own eyes, after which ye use to go a whoring: 40 That ye may remember, and do all my commandments, and be holy unto your God.
Deuteronomy 5:29, 31 KJV – 29 O that there were such an heart in them, that they would fear me, and keep all my commandments always, that it might be well with them, and with their children for ever! … 31 But as for thee, stand thou here by me, and I will speak unto thee all the commandments, and the statutes, and the judgments, which thou shalt teach them, that they may do them in the land which I give them to possess it.
Deuteronomy 6:2, 25 KJV – 2 That thou mightest fear the LORD thy God, to keep all his statutes and his commandments, which I command thee, thou, and thy son, and thy son’s son, all the days of thy life; and that thy days may be prolonged. … 25 And it shall be our righteousness, if we observe to do all these commandments before the LORD our God, as he hath commanded us.
Deuteronomy 8:1-2 KJV – All the commandments which I command thee this day shall ye observe to do, that ye may live, and multiply, and go in and possess the land which the LORD sware unto your fathers. And thou shalt remember all the way which the LORD thy God led thee these forty years in the wilderness, to humble thee, and to prove thee, to know what was in thine heart, whether thou wouldest keep his commandments, or no.
Deuteronomy 11:8, 13, 22 KJV – 8 Therefore shall ye keep all the commandments which I command you this day, that ye may be strong, and go in and possess the land, whither ye go to possess it; … 13 And it shall come to pass, if ye shall hearken diligently unto my commandments which I command you this day, to love the LORD your God, and to serve him with all your heart and with all your soul, … 22 For if ye shall diligently keep all these commandments which I command you, to do them, to love the LORD your God, to walk in all his ways, and to cleave unto him;
Deuteronomy 13:18 KJV – 18 When thou shalt hearken to the voice of the LORD thy God, to keep all his commandments which I command thee this day, to do that which is right in the eyes of the LORD thy God.
Deuteronomy 15:5 KJV – 5 Only if thou carefully hearken unto the voice of the LORD thy God, to observe to do all these commandments which I command thee this day.
Deuteronomy 19:9 KJV – 9 If thou shalt keep all these commandments to do them, which I command thee this day, to love the LORD thy God, and to walk ever in his ways; then shalt thou add three cities more for thee, beside these three:
Deuteronomy 26:13, 18 KJV – 13 Then thou shalt say before the LORD thy God, I have brought away the hallowed things out of mine house, and also have given them unto the Levite, and unto the stranger, to the fatherless, and to the widow, according to all thy commandments which thou hast commanded me: I have not transgressed thy commandments, neither have I forgotten them: … 18 And the LORD hath avouched thee this day to be his peculiar people, as he hath promised thee, and that thou shouldest keep all his commandments;
Deuteronomy 27:1 KJV – 1 And Moses with the elders of Israel commanded the people, saying, Keep all the commandments which I command you this day.
Deuteronomy 28:1, 15, 45 KJV – 1 And it shall come to pass, if thou shalt hearken diligently unto the voice of the LORD thy God, to observe and to do all his commandments which I command thee this day, that the LORD thy God will set thee on high above all nations of the earth: … 15 But it shall come to pass, if thou wilt not hearken unto the voice of the LORD thy God, to observe to do all his commandments and his statutes which I command thee this day; that all these curses shall come upon thee, and overtake thee: … 45 Moreover all these curses shall come upon thee, and shall pursue thee, and overtake thee, till thou be destroyed; because thou hearkenedst not unto the voice of the LORD thy God, to keep his commandments and his statutes which he commanded thee:
Deuteronomy 30:8, 10 KJV – 8 And thou shalt return and obey the voice of the LORD, and do all his commandments which I command thee this day. … 10 If thou shalt hearken unto the voice of the LORD thy God, to keep his commandments and his statutes which are written in this book of the law, and if thou turn unto the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul.
Deuteronomy 31:5 KJV – 5 And the LORD shall give them up before your face, that ye may do unto them according unto all the commandments which I have commanded you.
Joshua 22:5 KJV – But take diligent heed to do the commandment and the law, which Moses the servant of the LORD charged you, to love the LORD your God, and to walk in all his ways, and to keep his commandments, and to cleave unto him, and to serve him with all your heart and with all your soul.
1Samuel 12:14 KJV If ye will fear the LORD, and serve him, and obey his voice, and not rebel against the commandment of the LORD, then shall both ye and also the king that reigneth over you continue following the LORD your God:
Proverbs 6:23 KJV “For the commandment [is] a lamp; and the law [is] light; and reproofs of instruction [are] the way of life”
ii. The Law, commandments and judgments. [incomplete – check back later]
Jesus commanded Disciples to practice and repeat the Law:
“Whoever therefore breaks one of the least of these commandments, and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever does and teaches [them], he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.” Matthew 5.19
The Law, commandments and judgments, starting at Mt. Sinai. The list is incomplete. It will be finished later.
Exodus 20:1 NKJV – And God spoke all these words, saying:…
- Exodus 20:3 You shall have no other gods before Me.
- Exodus 20:4 You shall not make for yourself a carved image–any likeness [of anything] that [is] in heaven above, or that [is] in the earth beneath, or that [is] in the water under the earth;
- Exodus 20:5 You shall not bow down to them nor serve them.
- Exodus 20:7 You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain…
- Exodus 20:8Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.
- Exodus 20:9-11 Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day [is] the Sabbath of the LORD your God. [In it] you shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your male servant, nor your female servant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger who [is] within your gates.
Reason for the Commandment? “For [in] six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that [is] in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it.”
- Exodus 20:12 Honor your father and your mother…
- Exodus 20:13 You shall not murder.
- Exodus 20:14 You shall not commit adultery.
- Exodus 20:15 You shall not steal.
- Exodus 20:16 You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.
- Exodus 20:17You shall not covet your neighbor’s house; you shall not covet your neighbor’s wife, nor his male servant, nor his female servant, nor his ox, nor his donkey, nor anything that [is] your neighbor’s.
- Exodus 20:23 You shall not make [anything to be] with Me–gods of silver or gods of gold you shall not make for yourselves.
- Exodus 20:24 An altar of earth you shall make for Me, and you shall sacrifice on it your burnt offerings and your peace offerings, your sheep and your oxen.
- Exodus 20:25 And if you make Me an altar of stone, you shall not build it of hewn stone; for if you use your tool on it, you have profaned it.
- Exodus 20:26 Nor shall you go up by steps to My altar,
[Reason] that your nakedness may not be exposed on it.’
21.1 “Now these are the Judgments”.
The following are Judgments related to owning a Hebrew servant: It begins with
“If you buy a Hebrew servant…”
- Exodus 21:2 …he shall serve six years;
- Exodus 21:2-3 …and in the seventh he shall go out free and pay nothing.
- If he comes in by himself, he shall go out by himself;
- If he [comes in] married, then his wife shall go out with him.
- Exodus 21:4If his master has given him a wife, and she has borne him sons or daughters, the wife and her children shall be her master’s, and he shall go out by himself.
- Exodus 21:5 But if the servant plainly says, ‘I love my master, my wife, and my children; I will not go out free,’ then his master shall bring him to the judges. He shall also bring him to the door, or to the doorpost, and his master shall pierce his ear with an awl; and he shall serve him forever.
Judgments concerning a Hebrew Female Slave Girl
- Exodus 21:7 “And if a man sells his daughter to be a female slave, she shall not go out as the male slaves do.
- Exodus 21:8If she does not please her master, who has betrothed her to himself, then he shall let her be redeemed. He shall have no right to sell her to a foreign people, since he has dealt deceitfully with her.
- Exodus 21:9 And if he has betrothed her to his son, he shall deal with her according to the custom of daughters.
- Exodus 21:10 If he takes another [wife], he shall not diminish her food, her clothing, and her marriage rights.
- Exodus 21:11 And if he does not do these three for her, then she shall go out free, without [paying] money.
Exodus 21:12 “He who strikes a man…”
- Exodus 21:12 He who strikes a man so that he dies shall surely be put to death.
- Exodus 21:13 However, if he did not lie in wait, but God delivered [him] into his hand, then I will appoint for you a place where he may flee.
- Exodus 21:14 But if a man acts with premeditation against his neighbor, to kill him by treachery, you shall take him from My altar, that he may die.
- Exodus 21:15 And he who strikes his father or his mother shall surely be put to death.
- Exodus 21:16 He who kidnaps a man and sells him, or if he is found in his hand, shall surely be put to death.
- Exodus 21:17 And he who curses his father or his mother shall surely be put to death.
- Exodus 21:18-19 If men contend with each other, and one strikes the other with a stone or with [his] fist, and he does not die but is confined to [his] bed,if he rises again and walks about outside with his staff, then he who struck [him] shall be acquitted. He shall only pay [for] the loss of his time, and shall provide [for him] to be thoroughly healed.
- Exodus 21:20-21And if a man beats his male or female servant with a rod, so that he dies under his hand, he shall surely be punished. Notwithstanding, if he remains alive a day or two, he shall not be punished; for he [is] his property.
- Exodus 21:22- “If men fight, and hurt a woman with child, so that she gives birth prematurely, yet no harm follows, he shall surely be punished accordingly as the woman’s husband imposes on him; and he shall pay as the judges [determine]”.
- Exodus 21:23-25″But if [any] harm follows, then you shall give:
life for life
eye for eye
tooth for tooth
hand for hand
foot for foot
burn for burn
wound for wound
stripe for stripe”.
- Exodus 21:26 “If a man strikes the eye of his male or female servant, and destroys it, he shall let him go free for the sake of his eye.
- Exodus 21:27 “And if he knocks out the tooth of his male or female servant, he shall let him go free for the sake of his tooth.
“If an Ox gores…” 21:38 – 41
- Exodus 21:28 “If an ox gores a man or a woman to death, then the ox shall surely be stoned, and its flesh shall not be eaten; but the owner of the ox [shall be] acquitted.
- Exodus 21:29-30″But if the ox tended to thrust with its horn in times past, and it has been made known to his owner, and he has not kept it confined, so that it has killed a man or a woman, the ox shall be stoned and its owner also shall be put to death.If there is imposed on him a sum of money, then he shall pay to redeem his life, whatever is imposed on him”.
- Exodus 21:31 “Whether it has gored a son or gored a daughter, according to this judgment it shall be done to him.
- Exodus 21:32 “If the ox gores a male or female servant, he shall give to their master thirty shekels of silver, and the ox shall be stoned.
- Exodus 21:33-34″And if a man opens a pit, or if a man digs a pit and does not cover it, and an ox or a donkey falls in it, the owner of the pit shall make [it] good; he shall give money to their owner, but the dead [animal] shall be his”.
- Exodus 21:35 “If one man’s ox hurts another’s, so that it dies, then they shall sell the live ox and divide the money from it; and the dead [ox] they shall also divide.
- Exodus 21:36 “Or if it was known that the ox tended to thrust in time past, and its owner has not kept it confined, he shall surely pay ox for ox, and the dead animal shall be his own.”
- Exodus 22:1 – “If a man steals an ox or a sheep, and slaughters it or sells it, he shall restore five oxen for an ox and four sheep for a sheep.
46 – 49. Judgments concerning: “If the thief is found breaking in…” Ex 22:2-3
- Exodus 22:2 – “If the thief is found breaking in, and he is struck so that he dies, [there shall be] no guilt for his bloodshed.
47.Exodus 22:3 – “If the sun has risen on him, [there shall be] guilt for his bloodshed. He should make full restitution…
- …if he has nothing, then he shall be sold for his theft.
- Exodus 22:4 – “If the theft is certainly found alive in his hand, whether it is an ox or donkey or sheep, he shall restore double.
Property Damage: Fields, Vineyards, Grain. 22:5-6
- Exodus 22:5 – “If a man causes a field or vineyard to be grazed, and lets loose his animal, and it feeds in another man’s field, he shall make restitution from the best of his own field and the best of his own vineyard.
- Exodus 22:6 – “If fire breaks out and catches in thorns, so that stacked grain, standing grain, or the field is consumed, he who kindled the fire shall surely make restitution.
Stolen property that was on loan/ being borrowed by someone else 22:7-15:
- Exodus 22:7 – “If a man delivers to his neighbormoney or articles to keep, and it is stolen out of the man’s house, if the thief is found, he shall pay double.
- Exodus 22:8 – “If the thief is not found, then the master of the house shall be brought to the judges [to see] whether he has put his hand into his neighbor’s goods.
- Exodus 22:9 – “For any kind of trespass, [whether it concerns] an ox, a donkey, a sheep, or clothing, [or] for any kind of lost thing which [another] claims to be his, the cause of both parties shall come before the judges; [and] whomever the judges condemn shall pay double to his neighbor.
Judgments on the caretaker’s responsibilities for other’s animals:
22:10 – 15 “If a man delivers to his neighbor a…”
- Exodus 22:10 – “If a man delivers to his neighbor a donkey, an ox, a sheep, or any animal to keep, and it dies, is hurt, or driven away, no one seeing [it],
- Exodus 22:11 – “[then] an oath of the LORD shall be between them both, that he has not put his hand into his neighbor’s goods; and the owner of it shall accept [that], and he shall not make [it] good.
Exodus 22:12 – “But if, in fact, it is stolen from him, he shall make restitution to the owner of it.
Exodus 22:13 – “If it is torn to pieces [by a beast, then] he shall bring it as evidence, [and] he shall not make good what was torn.
Exodus 22:14 – “And if a man borrows [anything] from his neighbor, and it becomes injured or dies, the owner of it not [being] with it, he shall surely make [it] good.
Exodus 22:15 – “If its owner [was] with it, he shall not make [it] good; if it [was] hired, it came for its hire.
Exodus 22:16 – “If a man entices a virgin who is not betrothed, and lies with her, he shall surely pay the bride-price for her [to be] his wife.
Exodus 22:17 – “If her father utterly refuses to give her to him, he shall pay money according to the bride-price of virgins.
Exodus 22:18 – “You shall not permit a sorceress to live.
Exodus 22:19 – “Whoever lies with an animal shall surely be put to death.
Exodus 22:20 – “He who sacrifices to [any] god, except to the LORD only, he shall be utterly destroyed.
Exodus 22:21 – “You shall neither mistreat a stranger nor oppress him, for you were strangers in the land of Egypt.
Exodus 22:22 – “You shall not afflict any widow or fatherless child.